Just like when we read Noises off! The Drowsy Chaperone has thrown me for a loop again it was really tough for me to discern real from fictional Drowsy Chaperone and again maybe if I were able to watch this play rather than reading it then it would make more sense and I would have enjoyed it more. Also it would be much easier to understand what the hell is going on and who is who and what they mean to they play but enough of my rant. The two Hornby elements that I would use to analyze this play would duration and choice. When I say duration I would focus on the large amount of stage time that the man gets. He doesn’t even say that much and he isn’t part of the fictional play just rather he listens to the play and analyzes it which leads to my second element choice. My selection of choice is why did the Bob Martin and Don McKellar even choose to include the man in the play what did he bring to the play that made enough of a difference that the play would have been worse off without him. Why couldn’t the play just be the fictional Drowsy Chaperone. That to me was the biggest question. I don’t know maybe it is just me but I don’t like these story within a story type plays.
Yes, this is a challenge to read, but I love these challenges. They are like a puzzle and the prize is a funny play/musical. Duration is a big change and one that really does throw you off. That probably bothered me the most as it becomes a strict challenge to follow along with text.
ReplyDelete